Thursday, October 9, 2014

October 4th: Night of the Creeps, dir. Fred Dekker, 1986. (United States) 4/5 pumpkins
"Thrill me!"


With the ladyfriend wanting a horror-comedy this night, I couldn’t resist revisiting Night of the Creeps. In the years since Slither has come out, I’ve gravitated towards that film at the expense of this one, but that’s just silly – there’s no reason the two can’t coexist. Can one actually have too many mind-control space slug films? What I find really odd about this ramshackle wink of a film is that it’s able to pull off a number of moments with surprising emotional heft. The argument in the dorm room, the recorded good-bye note, weird-face walking in on Tom Atkins mid-suicide…they all land with the proper gravity. And then next thing you know you’ve got a dog puking alien slugs into a frat boy’s mouth. One could get whiplash from this film. I was happy to see that Netflix had the better of the two alternate endings; I can’t even remember which is the original anymore. I wasn’t planning on watching Halloween III this marathon, but one dose of Tom Atkins might not be enough. I already did The Fog last year. 80s self-aware camp doesn't get much better than this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment