Monday, October 27, 2014

October 22nd: Lifeforce, dir. Tobe Hooper, 1985. (United States) 2/5 pumpkins


This is going to be a really unpopular opinion, but I give up trying to be a fan of Lifeforce. This was my third go-round on it and while I probably enjoyed it more this time than my prior viewings, there’s just too many fatal flaws. It’s a shame, really, because it’s a great premise (naked space vampires!), boasts great production design and effects, and Tobe Hooper puts together some great scenes. But in the end the nonsensical plot (why are there hoards of zombies at the end and not vampires?) and odd pacing put me off. The fatal flaw is our main actor, Steve Railsback. He was really great as the X-Files’ Duane Barry, but in a concentrated dose like this, his painful overacting and downright goofy facial expressions take me right out of the film. Dan O’Bannon’s writing doesn't do him any favors; I imagine it’s hard to give lines like “Her sexuality had such power…it was almost…spiritual!” and endless “Lemme go! Lemme go!” the proper gravitas. Scream Factory’s new Blu-ray looks goddamn fantastic, I’ll say that much. Come for the great FX and Mathilda May’s undead boobage, stay for the…well, I dunno. It's a real purdy film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment