Tuesday, October 15, 2013

OctoBOOr 14th: Bad Milo!, dir. Jacob Vaughan, 2013 (United States). 2/5 pumpkins.
“It’s a metaphor!”

















I went into a film about a polyp monster living in Ken Marino’s ass with expectations that were too high, in hindsight. To be fair, I had my reasons: just look at the cast. Marino, Peter Stormare, Patrick Warburton, Stephen Root…this film is packing serious comedic talent. That they are squandered in such a limp fart joke of a film is a real crime. The story is simple: extreme stress causes Marino to develop an oddly cute polyp demon, who represents his subconscious desires/animosities, discovers a whole new and delicious world outside of the lower intestine, and things progress as you might imagine. Marino is a real trooper throughout, entertaining as the beleaguered sad sack, but while he’s capable of lugging little Milo around up his ass, he can’t carry the film by himself. I was all set to relay piercing, intelligent analysis of this film’s Oedipal and Freudian subtext, until the film goes and makes everything as explicit as possible; way to steal my thunder, Milo. I could have spent a couple extra minutes whilst writing this to whip up a few poop puns, but then I’d much rather just flush this film from my memory. Okay, maybe one pun.


No comments:

Post a Comment